Sopa de tortilla (Tortilla soup) also known as Sopa Azteca is so simple but has so much depth of flavour! Tortillas are never wasted in Mexico! This is an awesome way to use old tortillas, those extra few that were heated but not eaten. Leave them out and let them dry out, then shallow fry them, making a tostada. They make the base of the soup and are what gives it its name, Sopa de tortilla, and the delicious flavour.
This recipe serves 6 as a starter or 3-4 as a main.
- 3 whole chiles guajillos (dried chiles)
- 2 cups of hot water, or enough to cover the chiles
- 1/2 kg of ripe tomatoes
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1/4 of an onion, in Mexico we use White onion
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 fried corn tortillas, shallow fry the whole tortilla (This is a great way to use old dried out tortillas)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 pinches of epazote (A commonly used dried herb in mexico, if you can’t find it use dried oregano)
- 1 1/2 cups of fried corn tortilla strips (cut old tortillas into strips and shallow fry)
- 250g fresh feta cheese, cut in cubes or coarsely crumbled
- 1 chile pasilla cut in strips and lightly fried, they should be slightly crispy
- 1 avocado cut in slices
- Sour cream
- Dry fry the chiles over a medium heat for 30-60 secs, just until they soften (you don’t want to over cook them as they will get bitter). Clean the stem, seeds and veins out.
- Boil the chiles in just enough water to cover them, for 20 mins. They should be soft.
- Blend together chiles (including the water), tomatoes, garlic, onion, break the fried tortillas into the blender and add the stock. Blend until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a pot, add the blended soup mixture, you want it to hit the oil when it’s hot so it slightly fries the liquid. Add the epazote and salt to taste. Allow to boil for 10 mins. Taste and add more salt if needed. You should end up with about 1 ½ litres of soup, it shouldn’t be too liquid, if necessary you can reduce the liquid by boiling to get the consistency you like.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with fried tortilla strips, fresh crumbled feta cheese, fried chile strips, avocado slices and a good dollop of sour cream.
Our Sopa de tortilla