Enchiladas Placeras or Enchiladas Mineras are a speciality from Morelia in central Mexico. As with so many dishes in Mexico it’s hard to find it outside the places it comes from. A regional specialty.
The warm corn tortilla is fried in a dried chilli salsa and topped with potato and carrot, served with chicken pieces fried in the same sauce. It is a substantial meal that can be eaten for lunch or dinner. This recipe is adapted from Diana Kennedy, we’ve simplified a little and added and taken away bits and pieces to refine the recipe to one we LOVE, the boys even get into it!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 200g Potato, diced
- 200g Carrott, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Guajillo chiles, seeds and veins removed (whole dried chilli available from international food stores)
- 3 Ancho Chilies, seeds and veins removed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 onion
- large pinch marjoram or oregano
- salt to taste
- lard or vegetable fat for frying
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1.3kgs chicken poached in a pressure cooker (submerge chicken in water & boil for 30mins with a chunk of onion & a few cloves of garlic)
- 200g queso fresco (a salty crumbly feta works well as a substitute)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- jalapeños in escabeche (picked jalapeños)
- 2/3 cup sourcream
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce
- boil the potato & carrot until al dente, don’t over do it as they will be fried again later. Drain then cover the vegetables in cold water, add the vinegar stir and set aside.
- Heat a dry pan and toast the chiles lightly, turning constantly so they don’t burn. Cover with hot water water and leave to soak for 10 mins
- Place all the sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth, using about 1 1/2 cups of the water used to soak the chilies.
- Warm tortillas and set aside in a tortillero. Heat AUD casinos a little of the lard in a fry pan, when it is sizzling, dip each tortilla into the raw sauce and fry quickly on both sides. The tortilla should be lightly covered in sauce, if the sauce is too thick you can dilute it with a little more water.
- Fold each tortilla in half and pile on a serving dish & keep warm.
- Add a little more lard and fry the chicken pieces until beginning to brown, add the vegetables and fry until all are golden, you can add a little more sauce as you go. The idea is everything is fried and lightly covered in sauce.
- Serve 3-4 tortillas per plate, topped with the vegetables, queso, onion and sourcream. Add 2 pieces of chicken to each plate and a handful of lettuce on the side.